August 16, 2017 – 9:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Instructor: Didi Salvatierra
Didi Salvatierra is an award winning professional fiber artist. Her quilts reflect a love of color and texture while incorporating techniques of traditional quiltmaking. Her passion combines modern and traditional techniques. You will see evidence of this in her unique quilts, many of which are now in private collections.
Didi’s quilts reflect a love of color, spontaneity and often humor. Her attention to detail and embellishments infuse each unique piece of her work with vibrant visual impact.
A workshop with Didi Salvatierra
Class Description and Supply List:
A technique class that is fun, spontaneous and quite addictive!
No templates or patterns! Finished size and shape is up to you.
Easy sewing/collaging and simple enough for the beginner who wants a “modern” look to their piece. Every outcome is different!
- Sewing machine in good working order. Neutral thread on top and in the bobbin. Straight stitching only.
- Standard sewing supplies (scissors and/or snips, straight pins, pencil & paper for notes, camera/phone for pictures)
- Your personal rotary cutter and a small mat for beside your machine. A 12” x 6” Plexiglas ruler. Or any smallish rotary ruler. (You may also cut all your fabric with scissors if desired.) **Small iron and ironing mat. Sometimes these are provided by the host organization. (check when you sign up for the class).
- FABRIC!! The most important part of this project! I like to use Hand Dyed fabrics but you can also achieve success with solids, batik solids with some mottling, shot cottons, or anything tone-on-tone that reads as a solid.
The key is texture not a multi colored print. We are not trying to make a crazy quilt piece, but something that is more modern and streamlined.
Various samples will be shown in class.
- HOW MUCH FABRIC? Each student will determine the size of his/her quilt. You can bring scraps, fat eighths, or small pieces left from other projects. If you wish to add a border, bring a half yard of fabric. You may or may not get to this in class, depending on your speed. If not, you can audition fabrics for borders.
- PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO EMAIL ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE. IT SHOULD BE FUN AND MAY BE “CREATING OUTSIDE THE BOX” FOR SOME OF YOU. Didi@DidiQuilts.com © Didi Salvatierra, 2017 www.DidiQuilts.com